Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Today I had one of those mornings. I woke up sad. I was discouraged. The sadness seemed to flavor everything...even the Christmas music sounded a little sad to me. (Of course I've always thought "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is fairly depressing--I could totally do without it. Close second--"I'll be Home for Christmas". Can I get any amens out there?) I had a headache. And too much to do. And my daughter disobeyed and needed a consequence first thing this morning. She's 15, so we aren't talking a time out--we are talking losing a privilege. I hate it when that happens. I wanted to go back to bed and wake up tomorrow.
So, on a Tuesday, where unwrapping gifts with emily at chatting at the sky would be the focus of my post, I wasn't sure if I should write. I mean...I don't want to depress everyone. And finding a gift on one of those days is hard, ya know? However, is there a better day to unwrap the gifts of every day then one where you have to look hard? I think probably not.
So tonight, I'm unwrapping a few gifts I've noticed today:
* Cleaning my too-neglected bathroom was cathartic. Something about getting rid of dust that has been staring at me from the never-used large bathtub and some grime from other places (use your imagination) gave me a sense of satisfaction. I can unwrap cleaning a bathroom today.
* Pickle accepted her consequence without much grief. She knew she had broken a rule and then lied about it. She took the consequence with a maturity I hadn't expected. I can unwrap unexpected grace in the form of a calmer-than-expected teenager.
* Although I didn't want to, skipping my Healing Journey class to be present on a hectic night at home was a good decision. I ran into one of the leaders today who gave me tonight's video, so I will be caught up in no time. That was a gift. I can unwrap a hard-but-good decision that resulted in a little space to breathe, and I can unwrap the timely gift of a bible study video.
* As I sit here tonight, Bubba is finishing up a project for school. It is almost conquered. I can unwrap that...it is always good to finish a project. Pickle and hubby are downstairs in the basement, pulling the guestroom together for my in-laws to stay in later this week. What I hear from down there is Christmas songs--not from the ipod, but instead their acapella voices are belting them out. I can certainly unwrap the gift of help with housework and joyous singing from those I love.
* And my mood? Significantly improved--even though circumstances remain unchanged for now. God has showed me that He's got my heart in His hands. And He is faithful. And that is no small gift to unwrap.
Tonight, I'm unwrapping the little gifts in the midst of a poopy Tuesday. Some Tuesdays are like that...it's OK.