Thursday, August 25, 2011

I don't think my car likes my perfume...

My car, on it's own volition, is locking me out!

Here's the saga.  You might want to grab a beverage...cause it's fresh, and I'm venting.

First of all, let me just say that 90% of the time I leave my house in the morning only to head back in and grab something I forgot.  Phone, lunch, water bottle, computer, whatever.  It makes me feel like I'm losing it, but I've come to embrace it.  So have my kids.  This summer they learned that "Mom always leaves twice."  Even my dog, who is safely locked in his kennel, doesn't even look up any more when I head back in.  I know there are ways to be more together and organized, but apparently I don't feel like doing them.  So there.  That's me.

OK, with that little disclaimer out of the way, let me tell you what went down this week.  On Monday, I got in my car in the garage, started the engine, was about to pull out and realized my phone didn't come with me.  So I got out, closed the door and headed in to grab it.  As I came around the back side of the van, I heard all the doors lock on their own.  What???  Sure enough.  For reasons only known to God and perhaps the maker of my car, my car decided to lock me out.  So now, my car is running and locked, with everything I need for the day inside.  Except my phone of course.  And the gas tank was down to fumes--I was headed to the gas station first.  Yikes.

Hubby quickly came home from work (2o minute drive--thanks babe!) and rescued me.  Although the car wouldn't unlock for him at first either...at least not with the key fob.  We had to go all old-school and use the key IN the lock and TURN it to get it open.  Prehistoric!

He followed me to the gas station to make sure the fumes held out, and then I was on to my day.  I got to work 40 minutes later than planned, but no harm, no foul.  I made sure to tell my coworkers so they could have a laugh.

I'm too mad at my car to take it's picture...but here is what it looks like.
Tuesday.  No problems.  Asked teasingly at work if my car gave me any trouble that day...

And then Wednesday.  The plan for the morning was this:  leave my house by 8:10 to meet my parents and sister at Compassion International (where my dad works) to attend chapel.  Chapel was to be led by Travis Cottrell (musician/worship leader extraordinare that I just might be a big fan of...).  Chapel was at 9, seats go quickly.  After chapel I was to head quickly to Panera to meet someone who was interested in serving on my Children's Ministry team  (yes!).  Then, as soon as that was over, I was to meet a dear friend for lunch who recently returned from a few years in Rwanda.  I was finally going to get into the office around 1--but that's OK.  I had the schedule worked out almost down to the minute.

I was ready in plenty of time.  I remembered (almost) everything...a sweater in case the a/c was on artic blast, an extra pair of shoes if my feet got tired of the heels before I reached the office, my purse, my computer AND my phone.  This time the car was in the driveway.  I turned it on, put it in reverse and thought...I should grab a water bottle.  Put the car in park, and thought to myself, "I'm not letting this happen again" so turned the car OFF and got out and grabbed my water.  As I tried to get back into the car I noticed it was locked again!  What in the world?!?  Am I getting punked??  At least I grabbed the keys this time...wait, where are they?  In the ignition of course!  I guess I didn't grab them!  I was about to spend some time getting on my own case about how stupid I was--when I realized the clock was ticking until Travis!
Travis Cottrell
A few quick phone calls later (thankfully we still have a home phone line) and I was being rescued by both my folks (who picked me up for chapel) and my husband who drove home AGAIN to unlock the car.

Now is my opportunity to tell you my parents are saints.  Here's what they did...their own plan.  They picked me up for chapel.  Took me to chapel.  Vouched for me when I needed a photo ID to get a visitor pass.  (I have one...in my purse, in my car.  With my sweater.  And my phone.   And my KEYS.)  After the chapel, they waited around while I took the opportunity to shake Travis's hand and talk to him for a bit.  (!)  Then they drove me to Panera for my appointment there (not that I had my purse to buy this lady a cup of coffee or anything, but whatever). While I was talking Children's Ministry in Panera, they drove to my house where my car had been unlocked by hubby, and picked up my car.  They both drove to Panera again and left me my car.  My mom came into Panera to find me and give me my keys and purse.  And I was back on schedule with all of my appropriate possessions, IDs and what was left of my sanity.  Aren't they awesome??

my awesome parents
So, what's the deal with my car?  Does it think I spray a little too much perfume in the morning?  Is it mad I haven't cleaned it out in weeks?  Is it out to inconvenience me or simply humble me?

No answers yet.

But I do wonder if it's related to the car I had between college and marriage that used to honk at me from my driveway.  When I was inside our house.  My roommate used to say,  "Dawn, your car wants you!"  Hmmm.  That was a honda, and so is my van...

Well congratulations, you made it.  I'm done venting.  I hope this made you feel encouraged that at least your car likes you...

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Have you had your battery checked? Sometimes when the battery is on its last leg, the car electronics will do some funny things. If nothing else, it does sound like you need to get a spare key to keep somewhere!

Thanks for the laugh today! (Of course, I was laughting WITH you and not AT you - cuz I get caught up in the same kind of crazies, too.) Maybe it's something with the name.

Blessings... from the OTHER Dawn

Special K said...

I've never had THAT happen, but I have locked my keys in the car 3 times in one week. :)

And, your parents ARE awesome! I love them!

K :)

Leisa Dreps said...

Ha ha ha, that must have been pretty awkward. But having a car act like yours did is even more awkward. Your mechanic might help clear the mystery. But perhaps a new perfume could also do the trick. XD

Related Posts with Thumbnails