Friday, August 28, 2009

Thankful, Thankful, Thankful



Thanks to all who prayed for my sister after I posted this last week. I am SO happy to say that she got the results from the doctor yesterday and there is NO CANCER! We are all breathing easier and SO thankful that Kerry is not facing another trial. She is recovering after a rough go with nausea and pain--but has been back to work already. So, thank you for your prayers, and thank you Lord, for finding it in your mercy to spare Kerry this ordeal. Hooray!!

Kerry and I at VBS (otherwise we try not to wear matching shirts)

I've been reflecting a bit on how to remember to keep being thankful. I do find things to be thankful for each day, and make a point to have a grateful heart. But, when a crisis is over...I move on and don't always remember to be thankful for that particular answer to prayer. If Kerr did have cancer--we would be faced with it and it's ramifications every day for a long season. Will I remember everyday for a long season to be thankful that she isn't facing the C-word? I hope so.

I do try to remember to be thankful for the blessing of the job hubby has after 6 months of unemployment--even when the job is super stressful. Anytime a friend has a baby--I thank God for rescuing me from post-partum-psycho after Pickle's birth 13 years ago. I am thankful for the van God miraculously provided for our family as a generous gift years ago...even though it isn't exactly my dream car these days. It is so important to remember...in fact, throughout scripture we are told to remember what God has done. God's people got themselves into all sorts of trouble by not remembering.

For me, journalling helps. I like to read back over old journals to see where my heart was...what things concerned me that God has since resolved. Sharing with others helps (that's what I'm doing here, huh?) When we were facing a family crisis I call "the Big Mess" last summer, we spent time as a family recounting God's faithfulness to us in specific situations in the past, thanking God for His faithfulness, and then reaffirming our trust in Him for what we were facing at that point. I think it was a very meaningful time for all four of us.

How do you remember to remember????

We are definitely in back-to-school mode these days--trying to get our act together amidst new schedules, a new school, new teams, new dance classes. Our family needs structure, and we are working hard to find out what that looks like for this season of our lives. I find that when I get stuck on the "little" things (that seem to be as frustrating as "big" things in the moment) it can definitely get in the way of remembering to be thankful. Focusing on what matters instead of the little things is a discipline. I still deal with the little things of course, but try not to focus on them. Finding ways to be thankful helps me focus on what matters, and focusing on what matters helps me be thankful. Cool.

I'm certainly thankful today. For the great news about Kerry. For the day off I have today to work on "getting our act together". For our small group that meets at our house tonight. For a few reflective moments to remember all of my reasons to be thankful.

This post is linked to the Company Girl Coffee group over at Home Sanctuary--where a little blog community checks in with each other on Fridays.

12 comments:

Cari Kaufman said...

So wonderful to hear that Kerry is doing well. We will continue to lift her up.

I remember to be grateful by choosing a grateful heart every day. Even in the tough times, I am grateful for grace, and for the pain. That pain is an indicator that I am still here and still have more hours with which to make a difference.

Gratitude is a way of life and while it does take discipline at times, it is simply a matter of perspective on life. I don't worry about remembering gratitude I guess because I try to live in it every day.

No Longer 25 said...

That's great news about your sister, you and your family must be so relieved. You are right about being thankful, sometimes we forget how lucky we are.
Jade

Kathryn said...

I'm so happy for your family. Several times last week I thought of you and prayed. Glad there is no cancer.

Dawn said...

Hi Dawn!

So, so happy to hear the good results and praising God with you.

I use house cleaning to remind me of things to be thankful. Cleaning the kitchen? Thankful for the food we have. Laundry? Thankful for the bodies who wear them. Sweeping out the garage? Thankful for the vehicles we have. Etc...

It's amazing how fast the cleaning goes when I'm mindful to do this!

Blessings!
The "other" Dawn ;-)

Dani said...

So happy that all is well!!! Yea!

Being a Company Girl helps me remember to praise God and be thankful. I read about all these ladies who love Him, and don't know me, but love me because they love Him....lifting me up when I need it. It is a blessing I am grateful for :)

secondofwett said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Jolanthe said...

That's great to hear that your sister had a wonderful report. ;)

It is sooo important to remember God's faithfulness over the years, isn't it. Blogging has definitely helped me remember all the little things over the last few years.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about your sister being cancer-free. Yes, it is great to remember where we've been, and how we've gotten to where we are. And even just being thankful for the life we have even when there is a struggle. Thanks for sharing.

Have a lovely weekend.

Cari Kaufman said...

Dawn, I would be happy to send you some print material if you will send me your email address.

The churches I have worked with so far have experienced a great "revival of relationships" as one of the Women's ministries I worked with called it. Strings Attached starts as a 2 day retreat to take some time out to spend time together.Facilitated by a personal coach (me), trust and willing vulnerability are explored within the group. What we have found is that a core group of women will set the standard for the rest of the church. I could talk about this forever, but would love to send you some more info or talk to you on the phone about it. My email is cari@gps4life.net

One More Equals Four said...

What a blessing...I am so happy to hear about your sister!

It is difficult at times to remember to be thankful, but it is such a blessing when I really stop to think about all I have to be thankful for!

Have a great week!

Jessie Geroux said...

incredible news! SO wonderful to read ;-)You and your sister are beautiful women BTW even in matching shirts ;-) I love your thankful post thank YOU for sharing it

D said...

What an awesome blessing!!!

It is hard to remember what we have instead of thinking about what we don't have - especially in this modern world. I too think journal-ing helps me tremendously with remembering things. I love to go back a month or a year and look at what I wrote. Seeing where your heart lies at the moments deemed important enough to write down - it is a priceless gift.

Thanks so much for the coffee and the insight. I enjoyed my visit with you!
Dawn (the other, other Dawn ;) )

Related Posts with Thumbnails